Keeping your children safe while driving your car should be every parent’s number one priority. Today’s modern cars are some of the safest ever, but there are still many steps that you can take to protect your children while in the car.
- Buckle Up! It doesn’t matter how short the trip is, everyone in the car should buckle up. It will teach your children the right way, right from the start.
- And speaking of buckling up, make sure there is a child safety seat for every child in the car and buckle them into the seat securely. There actually is a right and wrong way to secure the child seats into the car.
- Choosing the right child car safety seat is just as important as buckling them into it. There are many different seats on the market today and they are all labeled for their particular use.
- If you are unsure of which car seat you need, you can call your local health department or fire department and they will be able to help you choose the right car seat and even show you how to install it.
- Keep young children occupied on long car trips by packing a special “road trip bag” that includes games, books and crayons to draw with. This will keep them occupied and entertained so that they are not distracting to the driver. The time you take to turn around to talk to a child or get something for them could create an accident that will harm everyone in the car.
Read more at: American Association of Pediatrics: Car Safety Seats and Transportation Safety.