We can take many steps to avoid getting into an accident but, inevitably, it will happen. You will be in an accident and it will be one of the most stressful moments of your life. Knowing what to do in the event of an accident will make all the difference in the world to you. It will help keep you calm and help you process what just happened. Following is a list of some things that you should do if you get into an accident.
- First and foremost, you have to stay calm. Take a few deep breaths and assess the situation.
- Immediately call 911 if anyone is injured. This is very important and could save a life.
- Call the police, you will need a police report for your insurance claim.
- If possible, move the cars from the roadway. Leaving your car in the middle of the road could lead to another accident.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver or drivers. You will need their policy number as well as the insurance company’s name and phone number. Write down the other driver’s name and vehicle information on the same piece of paper.
- Take pictures if you have a camera or you can use your cell phone. These pictures can be of the accident site, any damage and even the other driver’s insurance information.
- When the police arrive, obtain an accident report from them. Be very helpful and follow their instructions.
- Finally, file the insurance paperwork for the claim. It isn’t as difficult as in years past, you may even be able to file the claim online or over the phone. Do this as soon as possible while the accident information is still fresh in your mind. The sooner you file the claim, the sooner your insurance company can get you back on the road.
An accident is a very stressful occurrence but knowing what to do if you are in one will ensure that the whole ordeal goes a lot smoother for you.