We all like “FREE GAS” don’t we? And I’m not talking about the kind you get at La Pinata either. I am talking about you getting free gas right from your car. Let’s face it, gas prices are not going to get any lower and many of us aren’t going to start driving electric cars just yet, so we need to make our gas dollars stretch farther. There are many things you can do to get more mileage out of your car and it is just like getting free gas right from your car.
The pros here at GIC Car Clinic want to help you get more mileage out of your car and it won’t cost you very much. In fact, many of these tips won’t cost you a dime.
- You’ve heard it before and now we’re saying it here, follow the speed limit. Not just to be safe and avoid a ticket, you would be amazed how much gas you can save just by abiding by the posted speed limits on the highway. For the first few weeks you may have to set the cruise control and avoid the urge to speed, but you will notice significant savings in gas and will be filling up less at the pump.
- Try not to let your car idle for any longer than you have to. Warming up your vehicle in the morning for a couple minutes is okay but try not to go longer than that. Remember, idling gets 0 MPG.
- Consolidate your short trips and try to make a round trip out of your errands. This will save your mileage as well as wear and tear on your car.
- Avoid aggressive driving, short bursts of speed and jack-rabbit starts will burn up your gas fast.
- If you have a lot of unnecessary weight in your car’s trunk or cargo areas, take it out. Even an extra 100 pounds can lower your fuel economy by almost 2 percent. That adds up quickly.
- Bring your car in for a tune-up. A good tune-up will include spark plugs and spark plug wires, an air filter and a check of your oxygen sensors. A properly tuned car will pay for itself in gas savings. Have the shop check out your fuel system as well including your fuel filter and gas cap. Having your car tuned up will save you an average of 4 percent in fuel economy.
- Change your oil regularly. This will help protect your engine from harm and gain you around 1 extra mile per gallon.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Check the sticker on the inside of your car’s door for the proper inflation. This will add another 3 percent to your mileage.
- Have your wheels properly aligned. Just as if your car had a flat tire, an out-of-aligned wheel will cause your car to have more rolling resistance causing it to work harder to move down the road.
- Choose the right gas for your car. If your car runs fine on lower octane, then use that. There is no need to buy more expensive gas if you don’t need it.
By following these tips, you will get better gas mileage out of your car and save more money in your wallet. If you have any questions or need to schedule a tune-up, call GIC Car Clinic today.